Saturday, September 12, 2009

Where to start....

Yoga has always been my sort of go-to for stress relief. When I had my children and my significant other (henceforth known as Joe) and I decided we could afford for me to be a stay-at-home mom (henceforth known as Crazy Woman by 5pm) it didn't take long for me to realize that I was going to need an outlet. And, not just any outlet. It needed to be convenient, simple and not require props or babysitters. So I found my first Yoga tape, a VHS so you know how old I am :), and I put on my shorts and t-shirt during nap time and followed Patricia Walden as she lead me through Yoga For Beginners. I'll admit I did alot of derisive snorting throughout the postures and flows. But the Savasana! Oh the Savasana!!! It was heaven!!! To just lie on the floor with nothing to do but feel my breath move in and out of my body. I didn't know it then, but I was hooked. Since then I have tried running, tennis, swimming, gardening and at times a combination of any or all of the above. But I always came back to the Yoga. Go figure. It wasn't until last year, when I met an amazing teacher named Kristin, that I started to realize my potential. Don't get me wrong. I don't mean that I wanted to stand in warrior and eat only tofu all the time. Practicing with Kristin made it clear that all of my previous concepts of Yoga were limiting me and that I didn't need to strive to be as good as or better than anyone but myself. I'm not flexible, but I'm grounded and have good balance. I know dozens of people who are enviably flexible but have no balance. See what I mean? Well, it was Kristin's idea that I teach and, since both my babies have gone off to college, I have to admit that the suggestion couldn't have come at a better time. So, here I am, stepping off into the unknown, with 12 other students and two teachers whom I don't know from Adam's housecat. But I'm so excited!! I just have to remember to breath....

No comments:

Post a Comment